In The Footsteps of Gandhi
Commencing in Mumbai and travelling through the historical state of Gujarat - homeland of Mahatma Gandhi, this innovative itinerary incorporates coastal Porbandar, princely Rajkot and flourishing Ahmedabad - the beginning point of the legendary salt march.
Once you arrive into Mumbai, you will be met at the airport & transferred to your hotel. The remainder of the day is yours to explore Mumbai or relax at the hotel. Overnight – Mumbai
Mumbai or Bombay, as it was formerly known - remains India’s city of dreams. They enjoy a full day city tour including the Gateway of India monument, the Prince of Wales Museum, Marine Drive, Mani Bhawan Jain temple & the Elephanta Caves.
On day three they take a guided Heritage Walk in the morning before visiting the Afghani Church & holy Banganga Temple & water tank in the afternoon. Tonight they enjoy a scenic horse & buggy ride along Marine drive toward Chowpatty Beach. Overnight – Mumbai.
Mumbai - Porbandar. Morning flight to Porbandar, the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi, born in 1869. Afternoon city tour to Kirti Mandir, the memorial erected to Gandhi and his spouse, in the 1950s and Gandhi’s birthplace, a 3-story 300-year-old house, with time to cease at the Chowpatty seafront and shop in the local bazaar. Overnight – Porbandar
Porbandar - Rajkot - Ahmedabad. Travelling north east, they arrive at Rajkot. Mahatma Gandhi moved to Rajkot in 1881, they attended school here and was popularly known as Mahatma (Sanskrit for ‘great soul’). On day 6, they visit the old city and ‘Kaba Gandhi No Delo’, the house where Gandhi grew up, which now holds a small exhibition of Gandhi artefacts and photographs. Rajkot is also famous for its Bandhani saris, mirror-work, patchwork, beadwork, and silk embroidery. On day 7 they travel to Ahmedabad. Overnight – Rajkot.
Ahmedabad is a combination of medieval and modern, along with the coexistence of Hindu, Muslim and Jain communities, a compelling place to visit. Our city tour leads us to the elderly city, to view the finest blend of Hindu and Islamic architectural style known as Indo-Saracenic. They also visit the site of Gandhi’s ashram and the place where they launched his celebrated march against the Salt Law.
On day 9: We can wander through the vibrant bazaars of Ahmedabad and visit Jami Masjid, built in the 15th century. Also worth seeing are the tombs of Ahmedabad’s Muslim rulers and Hindu and Jain temples. The afternoon is free, so perhaps a cease at the Calico Museum of Textiles with its excellent collection of antique and modern textiles. Of coursework, no visit to Ahmedabad would be complete without a textile purchase. Patola silk saris and Ahmedabad block-prints are prized. Overnight – Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad - Baroda - Surat. Travelling south to Baroda, they arrive mid-afternoon. Perhaps stroll through Sayaji Bagh, a giant green park housing a few museums & planetarium. On day 11 they continue south to Surat on the banks of the River Tapti & visit the Sultan of Gujarat castle built in 1546. Overnight – Baroda
Surat/Dandi. Its a short drive to Dandi where they arrive at the most famous scene of Mahatma Gandhi’s Salt Satyagraha (Salt March). Mahatma Gandhi, along with several thousand of his followers walked from Sabarmati Ashram to Dandi on the Gujarati coast. Today they follow this same path down to the water's edge. Overnight – Surat
Surat - Mumbai. Arrival to Mumbai and hotel check-in. The latter part of the day remains free for you. Overnight – Mumbai
Hotel check-out & included onward transfer to airport.
- All sightseeing program as per the itinerary.
- All transfers, sightseeing & excursions will be by an AC Vehicle.
- Services of an English speaking local guide for the monuments as per the program.
- All entrances to the monuments and activities as per the program.
- Road taxes, parking fee, fuel charges and interstate taxes as per the program.
- Mineral water bottles in the vehicle [02 bottles each day]s
- Wet tissues places in the vehicle for the entire tour.
- Representative for assistance on all arrival and departure transfers with meet and Assist.
- All currently applicable taxes, including, GST of 5% applicable on total invoice amount.
Little gifts from Travel East:
- Departure Gift.
- Free WIFI in Vehicles.
- Expenses of personal nature like tipping, laundry, telephone / fax calls, alcoholic beverages, Camera /video camera fees at monuments, medical expenses, airport departure taxes, etc.
- Any meals, other than those specified above.
- Any meals other than specified in the quote-supplement mentioned above.
- Any insurance
- Any visa fees
- Any optional activities
- Any optional activities as mentioned in the program
- Domestic air-fare.
- Any other services not mentioned in the inclusion
- Any additional transfers
- Early Check-In/Late Check Out
- Any Tips / Porter charges