Located in the vale of Kashmir, with its snow dusted mountains, serene lakes and wildflower meadows, Srinagar's picturesque lakeside setting allows for a soothing getaway aboard a traditional Kashmiri houseboat.
Welcome to the Kashmir Valley! Arrive into Srinagar by flight or road where you’ll be met by our representative. After boarding your traditional Kashmiri houseboat docked on the shoreline of Dal Lake, the afternoon allows for an enjoyable stroll through the waterside gardens of the Mughal rulers. With a backdrop of rolling hills and the Dal lake, lies Nishat Bagh (the Garden of Gladness) laid out by Asaf Khan in 1632. Time lets you enjoy the beauty of this and number of other Mughal gardens within the vicinity.
En route to the other gardens, it is feasible to see Mihrbahri people (market gardeners who have lived around the lakes for hundreds of years) going about their everyday lives, tending to their floating vegetable & flower beds cleverly shielded within clumps of floating weed & water’s edge Poplar & Willow trees.
Returning to your floating hotel, the remainder of the evening is spent at leisure and overnight aboard your houseboat. Overnight – Srinagar.
Today drive west through the avenues of Poplar trees and fertile rice fields, passing little villages to Gulmarg ‘India’s premier winter sports town. Sitting at an altitude of 2650m and offering panoramic views of Vale of Kashmir, Gulmarg is the ideal place for a little outdoor adventure. Opt to ski in the winter, hike or ride horseback along the lofty trails of Pine forest, play a round of golf, fish in the mountain streams ( nice for trout) or picnic in the flower-filled meadows, in the event you choose. Lunch is included and after a day of outdoor pursuits return to your houseboat on the lake. Overnight – Srinagar
Today take a shikara (a traditional wooden boat found only waters of the Jammu and Kashmir) to the early morning floating vegetable market. Passing lots of other chikara's along the way, ferrying people, produce and freshly caught fish across the lake.
The boat ride continues with a leisurely cruise around the 15.5 sq km lake. As the shikara plies its way toward the wetlands of Bod Dal & Lokut Dal you’ll pass little island enclaves, narrow bridges, tree-lined boulevards, houseboats cruising, Mughal gardens & pavilions. Returning to your houseboat in the evening. Overnight – Srinagar.
Arrangements conclude after breakfast with houseboat check out & onward departure transfer to the airport or awaiting transportation.
Below is a list of key highlights & what is included on this tour. Further, where appropriate, they have listed the items that are not included in the tour cost.
• Srinagar - lakeside retreat with vibrant floating flower & market gardens
• Gulmarg - outdoor pursuits opt to hike, picnic, ski, horse ride or fish
• Views of the Kashmir Valley & the majestic Himalayas
• Living aboard a Kashmiri houseboat moored on Lake Dal
• Boat trip the to floating produce market
• 3 breakfasts, three lunches & three dinners
• Shakari boat trip (traditional Kashmiri rowboat) on Dal Lake
• Arrival & departure transfers on day one & day four
• Entrance fees to all included sights
• 3 nights aboard a traditional Kashmiri houseboat on Dal Lake. Our houseboat comprises of three bedrooms, each with its own private entrance and ensuite facilities. A communal lounge and dining area is available for the use of all onboard.
• Day trip to Gulmarg
• Services of an English speaking local guide for sightseeing on day two and day three
• All transfers and transportation in private chauffeur driven vehicles
What's Not Included
• International flights and visas
• Tipping - an entirely personal gesture
• Laundry, drinks, items of a personal nature