Trains of Imperial India
Six scenic train journeys, Kolkata to the majestic hill stations of Darjeeling and Shimla, holy Varanasi on the Ganges, the Taj Mahal in Agra and more
Once you arrive into Kolkata you'll be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. The remainder of the day is yours to explore Kolkata or relax at the hotel. Overnight - Kolkata
This cultural city is an incredible example of East meets West. Enjoy a sightseeing tour which includes a visit to the Victoria Memorial. Opened by the Prince of Wales in 1921, this imposing vision in marble often called the “Taj” of the British Raj overlooks the grassy Maidan, the city’s green belt. Overnight - Kolkata
Kolkata - New Jalpaiguri. Enjoy the day to independently explore Kolkata. Early this evening, you’ll board the Darjeeling Mail train. In air-conditioned 1st class sleeper accommodation, relax as the train heads north to New Jalpaiguri. Overnight - Train (B)
New Jalpaiguri - Darjeeling - Varanasi. Early this morning, you’ll continue the journey to Darjeeling by automobile. Sitting at a spectacular altitude of 2124m with a backdrop consisting of mighty snow-clad Himalayan peaks & surrounded by verdant tea plantations. Owing to Darjeeling’s nearness to Tibet, the town has a Tibetan Refugee Centre comprising look after the young & elderly & craft workshops that produce carpets, leather work & other Tibetan curios. In case you have time, it’s worth a glance. Early morning of day five, they enjoy a drive to Tiger Hill to catch dawn over the snowy peaks of Kanchenjunga - the world’s third highest mountain. Continuing to the Ghoom Gompa (monastery) followed by city sightseeing & a visit to a tea estate. Day 6, drive to New Jalpaiguri to catch the Varanasi North-East Express train (2nd class A/C sleeper) to Varanasi. Overnight - Darjeeling
Arriving early this morning to Mughalsarai, they drive to Varanasi. Varanasi or the city of Shiva is the holiest Hindu pilgrimage location in India. Plentiful with temples & streets that resemble a mass of tangled shoelaces, Varanasi is of India’s most vibrant cities, later they enjoy a city sightseeing tour. Early morning, day 8, the boat ride on the holy Ganges to witness the dawn & the ancient religious custom of ritual cleansing that takes place on the famous riverside ghats (steps) that line the banks. Late afternoon board the Marudhar Express train (1st A/C class sleeper) to Agra. Overnight -Varanasi
An early morning arrival in Agra allows you the chance to relax. Visits to the Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and marble craft shop later this afternoon. Day ten, free morning or re-visit the Taj Mahal. Afternoon vehicle transfer to Delhi in time to board the Howrah Delhi Kalka Express train (air-conditioned 1st class sleeper) to Kalka. Overnight -Agra
Kalka - Shimla - (breakfast day 12 only). early today, they board the Kalka-Shimla Express (non a/c 1st class), arriving Shimla late morning. Shimla, the ‘old summer capital’ of British India sprawls along a crescent-shaped ridge at an altitude of 2100m. The famous ‘Mall’ lined with stately English houses, Christ Church, Gorton Castle and the fortress-like former Viceregal Lodge reinforces Shimla’s English flavour. It’s worth exploring the narrow streets which fall steeply away from the ridge to vibrant local bazaars. Overnight - Shimla
Shimla - Delhi (Kalka). Leaving Shimla, drive to Kalka to catch the afternoon, Shatabdi Express train (airconditioned chair automobile) bound for Delhi. Overnight - Delhi (B)
This morning embark on a sightseeing tour of Elderly Delhi including the Red Fort, Jama Masjid mosque & the bazaars of Chandni Chowk. This afternoon, enjoy the sights of New Delhi including the majestic India Gate, Rajpath & Connaught Place. A visit is also made to Qutab Minar, a large tower built to proclaim the arrival of Islam in India in the 11th century & a carpet emporium. Late this evening, enjoy an included onward transfer to the airport.
- All sightseeing program as per the itinerary.
- All transfers, sightseeing & excursions will be by an AC Vehicle.
- Services of an English speaking local guide for the monuments as per the program.
- All entrances to the monuments and activities as per the program.
- Road taxes, parking fee, fuel charges and interstate taxes as per the program.
- Mineral water bottles in the vehicle [02 bottles each day]s
- Wet tissues places in the vehicle for the entire tour.
- Representative for assistance on all arrival and departure transfers with meet and Assist.
- All currently applicable taxes, including, GST of 5% applicable on total invoice amount.
Little gifts from Travel East:
- Departure Gift.
- Free WIFI in Vehicles.
- Expenses of personal nature like tipping, laundry, telephone / fax calls, alcoholic beverages, Camera /video camera fees at monuments, medical expenses, airport departure taxes, etc.
- Any meals, other than those specified above.
- Any meals other than specified in the quote-supplement mentioned above.
- Any insurance
- Any visa fees
- Any optional activities
- Any optional activities as mentioned in the program
- Domestic air-fare.
- Any other services not mentioned in the inclusion
- Any additional transfers
- Early Check-In/Late Check Out
- Any Tips / Porter charges